Australia » James Cook University » Introduction
Enjoy a Spectacular Natural Environment While Taking Classes
The Oregon University System program at James Cook University in Australia facilitates undergraduate student exchange between James Cook University and students from the Oregon University System. This program is new and may not have been approved yet on your campus. Please check with your study abroad international office.
This program enables students to direct enroll in undergraduate courses in many fields and is suitable for students from most majors.
James Cook University offers quality academics in a unique tropical setting. JCU is located in north Queensland, which is on the northeast corner of Australia. Queensland contains a wide diversity of landscapes, including beaches, the Great Barrier Reef, rainforests and it even stretches into the Outback.
The main campuses of JCU are located in the coastal cities of Cairns and Townsville. Cairns is about 200 miles north of Townsville, and has a population of around 130,000. Because of its proximity to several important natural attractions, Cairns has become one of Australia’s busiest tourist areas. Described as the rainforest campus, Cairns is located below rainforest-covered mountains.
Townsville is a bit larger with a population of 160,000. Townsville is a stepping off point for visiting the Great Barrier Reef and is only one hour from the Wet Tropics rainforests of Paluma. It is a 20 minute ferry ride from Magnetic Island. The Townsville campus is well known for marine biology.
- Established in 1961, James Cook University has earned global respect as a leader in the teaching and research of disciplines relevant to the tropics.
- Due to the unique tropical location, the environmental science and marine biology programs are hands-on and among the best in the world.
- The JCU Study Abroad Program offers an opportunity to study subjects which contain a field trip component in some of Australia’s most beautiful regions.
- JCU is Australia’s leading tropical research university doing work in areas such as biodiversity, sustainable management of tropical ecosystems, global warming, tropical agriculture, and tropical health care in remote communities and cultural diversity.
- Students will enjoy a spectacular natural environment while taking classes.
The Oregon University System International Programs are cooperative programs to which all students in public universities in Oregon and select private partner universities have access. The programs are predominately reciprocal exchanges that not only send students abroad, but also bring students to Oregon campuses. It is through these direct relationships that students and faculty connect with partner institutions abroad and bring diversity to Oregon
Click on the name of your University for contact information.
Eastern Oregon University
Inlow Hall 109E
La Grande, OR 97850
Oregon Institute of Technology
Klamath Falls, OR 97601
Oregon State University*
Tavia Mendez or Marit Legler
1600 SW Western Blvd., Suite 290
(541) 737-2672 firstname.lastname@example.org
Portland State University
East Hall 101, Portland, OR 97207
Southern Oregon University
Stevenson Union 321
Ashland, OR 97520
University of Oregon
Oregon Hall 330
Eugene, OR 97403
Western Oregon University
Study Abroad &
Monmouth, OR 97361
* Also serves as the program Coordinator/Assistant.